Thursday, September 22, 2005

First Portal Yearning Chapter one
It was the spring of my sixteenth year. Junior varsity, drivers licenses, and parties. I stood at the cross road in life, straddling the gap between adolescence and maturity, and like all my peers forging ahead on virgin grounds. To truly grasp the uniquely American dream: Life (1.6 children, 2 dogs, and a gerbil), Liberty (The freedom to be different like everyone else) and the pursuit of happiness (Don't even ask). Then I made a phone call that would change it all.

''Is Jonathan there?''

Silence,
Then at last a reply,
but in an oddly muffled voice,
as if his mother wasn't speaking into the phone.
''What should I tell him?''
"Well, I just wanted to know . . .''
''Jonathan, do you want to tell him yourself?''
Her voice still sounded distant; perhaps she wasn't speaking to me at all.
A sound came from the other end as I heard the phone being passed folowed by several gasps and sobs. Some thing was wrong.
''Hello? Jonathan?''
Still more noises as the phone was passed again. What was going on?
''Should I tell him?" again his mother was speaking with her mouth away from the receiver.
"Yes . . .''
At last a clear voice.
''Jacob, Jonathan can't to you now . . . . His father just passed away.''
More sobs from the other end.

*Click*

No comments: